Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar and a time when Muslims across the world fast, worship, come together as a community and give charity to help those less fortunate than themselves.
This Ramadan, we urge you to donate to help the people of Afghanistan. Afghanistan is a country in the heart of Asia and one of the poorest and worst war-affected countries in the world.
THE HARSH REALITY
More people die in Afghanistan every single day than any other country in the world.
- 2 million orphans
- 600,000 children work and sleep on streets
- 400,000 children maimed by land mines and 1 in 10 children is malnourished.
- 1.5 million widows, which is the highest number in the world in proportion to the population
- 1.6 million addicted to drugs
- 800,000 people have been left disabled by years of war
- 40% of the Afghan population lives in extreme poverty, which reaches an unbelievable 80% in some regions.
- Recent floods and landslides have killed and made thousands of people homeless
- Military operations in the tribal belt have turned local people into internal refugees
YOU CAN HELP THIS RAMADAN
- Poor families
- Victims of war
The Prophet (PBUH) said:
“The one who looks after a widow or a poor person is like a person who struggles in the way of God or like a person who performs prayers all the night and fasts all the day.”
He also said
“The best charity is that given in Ramadan.”
With your help, we aim to meet the physical, psychological and social needs of the poor and needy people of Afghanistan this Ramadan.
- £1 ($1.28) can provide an individual a mean for iftar
- £5 ($6.40) can provide an Iftar for a day for a family
- £150 ($192) can feed a family for an entire month
- £10 ($15) can buy a child Eid clothes
- £5 ($6.40) is the Zakat Al Fitr (Fitrana) payable per person for 2017
- £3 ($3.80) is the Fidya for every missed Fast due to illness, old age or any other exceptional circumstances. For the entire month of not being able to fast, it is £3 x 30 = £90 ($115).
- £180 ($230) is the Kaffarah for deliberately missing a fast without a solid reason. It is equal to feeding 60 hungry people.
- 2.5% is the rate of Zakat for your wealth if you want to donate Zakat.